Only one of the three TV news channels that were issued a show-cause notice for their coverage related to the hanging of the 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon, has replied to the I&B ministry. The ministry had asked three leading TV news channels ABP News, NDTV 24x7 and Aaj Tak to explain why action should not be taken against them, alleging that their coverage of the issue was inappropriate.
According to ministry officials, NDTV's reply, sent on August 22, said it had not violated the programme code as had been alleged. "They have also said that their coverage has been misconstrued by us and that they are willing to meet us and explain their position," an official said.
An official added that replies from ABP and Aaj Tak were expected on August 24, after which an interministerial panel will analyse the explanations.
The ministry had given the channels 15 days to send in the replies, with August 22 being the last date. ABP sources said the channel had sent it their reply August 21. Two of the broadcasters to whom notices have been sent had reportedly aired phonein interviews with underworld figure Chhota Shakeel.
Official sources said some parts of the coverage of these news channels were inappropriate and violated the Programme Code.